GENEALOGY AND LOCAL HISTORY
Patrons unable to access our collection in person may send inquiries by mail or EMAIL (woodgenealogy at park.lib.wv.us). Please be aware of the following guidelines.
- Our minimum research fee is $2.00 per request (each obit would count as a request) plus $.10/page for photocopies.
- There is a limit of 5 requests at a time.
- If requesting article/obituary from a newspaper, you must provide us with at least a month and a year for us to initiate a search.
- Similarly, if requesting information from our census microfilm reels, you must provide us with at least a state, township/district/borough, and a year.
- A pdf copy of our microfilm holdings is here.
We have also started digitizing the collection, thanks to the help of Morgan Kirl and the Parkersburg Area Community Foundation. Some materials are only available electronically inside the library. You can visit the http://genealogy.park.lib.wv.us/omeka/ site under cosntruction here. There are even more resources on the site http://genealogy.park.lib.wv.us/private/omeka/accessible only at the library (this is due to copyright issues).
Here is a listing of Genealogy web sites that may be of help.
- Wood County Historical and Preservation Society
- Wood County (WV) GenWeb Page
- Wood County Courthouse
- WV State Archives Genealogy Surname Exchange
- WV Vital Records Search
- WVU Libraries -- WV & Regional History Collection
- West Virginia in the Civil War
- West Virginia State Archives
- Ancestry Plus
- Athens County (OH) GenWeb Page
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet
- Early VA/WV Genealogy
- Find A Grave
- Genealogy Online
- Hacker's Creek Pioneer Descendents Civil War Page
- Heritage Quest Includes AGLL (American Genealogical Lending Library)
- National Archives and Records Administration
- National Genealogical Society
- Pleasants (WV) GenWeb Page
- ROOTS-L Homepage
- Rootsweb's list of WV genealogical and historical resources on the net
- The 7th West Virginia Cavalry Home Page
- The Olive Tree Genealogy Information dealing with early New York &New Jersey
- Unclaimed West Virginia Civil War Medals
- USA People search genealogy page
- Wirt (WV) GenWeb Page
- World Vital Records A massive library with billions of Family History and Genealogy records, and millions of family trees. Access key collections: COMPLETE U.S. Federal Census images and indexes from 1790 to 1940; military records; enhanced Social Security Death Index (SSDI) records; millions of newspaper articles; unique, exclusive local and international collections.