Welcome to our new website. We may have to tweak it a little over the next week, but hopefully things will be better.
Bright Star Theatre will present 3 performances of “Upcycled Cinderella” on Monday, July 17.
South Parkersburg Library at 10:15 a.m.
Williamstown Library at 1:00 p.m.
Emerson Library at 6:00 p.m.
“‘Upcycled Cinderella’ is a hilarious production hitting the road Monday. The show features two school employees who jump at the chance to bring to life this celebrated fairy tale when the ‘real’ school assembly doesn’t show-up. The show features vibrant costumes and props all made from everyday objects.” … Bright Star website
Bring the family and join us at any or all of these performances for some fun & hilarity!
Summer Time is here again!
Call or Come in to sign up today!
The library on Emerson Avenue is currently hosting the artwork of local artist John Dawson in the gallery above the periodical section. John’s works consist primarily of oil landscapes of West Virginia. They tend to be realism with a touch of impressionism. He has produced and sold prints of a large sawmill in Nicholas County, WV. He has also painted homesteads and pets, on commission.
The library, which is located at 3100 Emerson Avenue in Parkersburg, will display John’s artwork in the gallery above the periodical section until November 29, 2016. For more information, or to inquire about purchasing one of John’s paintings, contact the Reference Librarian at 304-420-4587 ext. 511.
Both the South Parkersburg Library and the Parkersburg & Wood County Public Library on Emerson Avenue are now setting up to be venues where local artists can exhibit their work. Are you a painter, sculptor, photographer, etc., or know someone who is? Give us a call or stop in today and pick up an application to secure a spot in our exhibition schedule.
Or as Elizabeth Barrett Browning might say:
“How do we love libraries? Count the ways–
We love them to browse and wonder and learn.
Our minds can reach, when for ideas we yearn…”
Or, to swap sonnet for listicle, here is how you can best show your love for us, the Parkersburg & Wood County Public Library!
1. Join, friend on Facebook by clicking here, or otherwise support our Friends of the Library Association. They show us love all year round by funding Summer Reading programs, organizing book sales, and much more.
2. Visit one of our libraries! Have you seen our new South Parkersburg branch, yet? It’s lovely inside. Or, have you ever browsed the Genealogy room in the main library? Here are our hours. Please visit soon. 🙂
3. Check out a book. Or a movie. Better yet, check out several! Here are some of our newest items.
4. Participate in a library program. From story hours to art programs to reading contests, we offer the best free alternatives to a night in front of the T.V. Following our main page on Facebook is the best way to keep up with what’s happening.
5. When we share something on Facebook or other social media that makes your heart go pitter-patter like it and share it with your friends. We need your help to keep us from getting buried in the feed!
6. Get to know our digital collections as well as our physical ones. We subscribe to all sorts of digital services so you don’t have to! Check out our online databases, like Chilton’s here, and our exciting collection of e-books, e-audiobooks, and digital magazines here. Zinio will deliver the next issue straight to your inbox for free!
7. Attend our semi-annual Friends of the Library book sales and stock up on titles that with no due date… ever! Watch for the next one this spring.
8. Volunteer at the branch nearest you. Summer Reading program, gardening duties… we can help you find the best way to donate your time.
9. Put your money where your heart is. Learn more about how you can support us financially here.
10. Read this article, and discover even more ways to show us your love!
Ever since the dawn of the silver screen, film and books have been inextricably linked. Early, grainy film adaptations of horror classics like Dracula and Frankenstein, paved the way for blockbuster Hollywood classics also based on novels: The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and Mary Poppins, to name a few.
Now, the 2016 Academy Awards are approaching (you can catch them live, Sunday, February 28th, at 7pm) and few things have changed. Five of this year’s eight best picture nominees are based on books! Take a look at this list and consider reading up if you’ve missed a few of the novels these films were adapted from.
It would be fun to read the novels past nominees and winners were based on, too. I’d love to build that list for you, but I think you’ve got some novels to watch and some films to read– Or maybe the other way around. 😉
Check out our library book totes, reading-themed insulated drink bottles, and our library cookbook! On sale now at reasonable prices.
Our Williamstown Branch Manager, Nancy Morehead is featured on the front page of today’s “Parkersburg News & Sentinel.” Congratulations, Nancy, on a job well done! Our thanks to the newspaper for the excellent article and beautiful photos!